Sunday, January 9, 2011

What I Heart Today: Felt Garland Tutorial

It's been really, really hard to get back in the swing of things after wrapping up the holidays.  I finally got all of my decorations packed up and put away today, it's official Christmas is over... may the let down begin!

But for me it helps that I'm moving out of Christmas and right into my daughter's first birthday party, yikes!  The pressure, I almost can't stand it.  But you know how it is, all the pressure that's on me is actually coming from me :)

Today I'm publishing my very first tutorial.  It's a simple one, just thought I would post it in case you need an idea for a simple decorating project.  Let's take a look at how to make felt garland!

To start with you'll need to cut out felt circles.  I made this felt garland for a little somethin' somethin' to spruce up my bathrooms for my daughter's party, my party color scheme is pink, orange, and yellow.  I made my pink and orange circles the same size and my connector color, which is yellow, is smaller.  I cut my circles freehand but if you're more of a perfectionist than me you can find something to use to trace a perfect circle, cut it out in cardstock, and use that as a pattern.
I originally took this next photo to show the invisible thread I've heard everyone recommend you use.  I started out with invisible thread but for some reason it kept snapping so I switched to white thread on my next strand of garland.
Line up your first felt circle centered under your needle.
Right before you get to the end of your first circle, throw your next circle under your needle for a continuous stitch.  I played around with leaving a space between colors and that works too, it's just hard to control how long the space is without the machine getting away from you.
Do the same thing for each additional circle, sew as long as your garland requires!
Voila! You have a great, fast, adorable decoration!  Please excuse my photography, this was taken before I started on my New Year's resolution #2 which is to learn how to use my fancy shmancy camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment